Monday 16 July 2012

K.K. Nail Polish in Mint Chic (No. 27) Swatch and Review

I came across this brand in Cosmetics and Fragrance Direct in Sydney's DFO (Direct Factory Outlet - from what I've heard though it does not even compare to the outlets in America!). I had never heard of it before, but everything - I recall seeing eyeliner, lipstick, polish, etc - was only $2 each! So I picked up the most interesting-looking polish - No. 27. A quick Google search came up with the brand's website. The polish I got is actually called Mint Chic on the website but it has no name on the bottle, just the number. It is pretty awesome so I will definitely be getting a few more, and maybe some other makeup stuff next time I go there. I haven't seen this brand sold anywhere else, so if you know where else it is stocked, let me know and I will update this post! :)

Mint Chic is an absolutely stunning medium jade green jellyish base with dense greeny-silvery flakies. The flakies are similar to the ones in Orly Meet Me Under the Mistletoe but Mint Chic's are more densely packed, have less gold colour and does not have a teal duochrome. I did 4 coats plus two coats of Seche Vite. Anyway, enough talking, here are the pictures! (I had to colour correct some of these to make them more colour accurate).







I think I actually prefer this kind of polish in the shade, you can see how reflective the flakes are.




In direct sunlight. It's much more sparkly in real life, but my camera couldn't capture it.

Under artificial light. So sparkly!


Pros:
- Colour is really, really beautiful and iridescent.
- You can't really argue with a $2 price tag!
- Dried faster than I had expected.
- Lasted a week with only very minor chipping and basically no tipwear.
- Bottle is pretty huge - 16mL.

Cons:
- The smell is quite strong.
- Bottle looks cheap and the labels are clumsily stuck on.

Dupes:
- None in my collection. The closest is Orly Meet Me Under the Mistletoe, but that is way darker.

Overall:
9/10

I'm really amazed at and in love with this polish, especially given it's from an unheard-of brand and is dirt cheap at $2! The quality is fantastic and the colour is spectacular. If you're a green lover like me, this is a must-have!

- J

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I spotted this at one of our $2 shops (KK often pops up in $2 shops in NZ) and had to grab it after remembering your swatches! I've layered it over Color Club Rulebreaker for a pedicure. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so happy that my swatches helped you try a gorgeous colour :D Do you own any other KK polishes?

      Delete